Saturday, April 9, 2011

LET'S ACT - A CLARION CALL

The foundations were laid yesterday. We are building on it today. But the foundation has developed cracks. Would we continue to build on and hand over a fragile system to posterity? OR we would sacrifice and repair and consolidate the foundations.

There are more questions than answers. There are more problems than solutions. But Ephesians 2.10 gives us hope. It reads, “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto GOOD WORKS, which God hath ordained beforehand that we should walk in them”. We’ve been equipped, individually, with the requisite skills and abilities to do something that would be of immense benefit to humanity. All of us can do good works in our respective fields to make this country a better place. For we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Yes.. all things.

Big things are achieved by small things. The theory of gravity has explained uncountable number of phenomena. It took Christ and His disciples to get millions re-united to God. It took six men to achieve the freedom a current population of over 24 million are enjoying. It took Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu to liberate about 50 million South Africans from the apartheid. So you and I can go far. Very very far. You and I can move mountains.

So what can you and I do to better our motherland?

You and I can start by condemning ethnocentric and violence-laden speeches made by our political leaders. The power of life and death lies in the tongue, as the Good Book puts it. We can’t afford to have our relatively peaceful country torn into shreds by irresponsible and uncontrolled political statements. We must shut our ears to the mouths that spew violence. Likewise, you and I should respect our constitution and act within its framework. Mob action may be instant justice but is not instant peace of mind. You and I can make sure human dignity and pride is upheld through fairness and justice that follow due process.

Religion wields so much authority in Ghana. You and I can use it to ensure unity and not division, love and not hate. We’ve got to be religiously tolerant of each other’s views. Our proselytizing ambitions should not cause us to inflict other faiths with inflammatory lashes. We should understand that diversity is inevitable. The reality is we can’t all be the same. That’s why we have male and female, tall and short, blacks and whites. You and I can be able to share progressive ideas irrespective of whether you are a Muslim and I’m a Christian or African indigenous religion practitioner. You and I can mingle.

You and I can ameliorate poverty and create economic opportunities. How? 5p, 10p, 50p or GH 1 cedi saving a day, differentiating need from a want and a futuristic attitude are all it takes. A seed destroyed can never grow. The utility of money is best enjoyed when earned lawfully. Sakawa would put smiles at your cheeks today and eternal torture tomorrow. You and I can find pleasure in work.

Domestic violence, marital instability and divorce have reached astronomical rates. When love is put under the carpet, when forgiveness become the twin-brother of vindictiveness, and self-control, conquered by illicit sexual adventures, you and I are doomed. But you and I can make families work by re-defining the concept of love. You and I can make forgiveness work by letting bygones be bygones and respecting each other’s limits. You and I can check our libidos and forge first-class relationships. With you and I, it’s possible.

According to Benjamin Franklin, “If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest”. You and I can re-adjust our attitude towards learning. You and I, after treating our tummies to heavy balls of kenkey and fish, can make reading a dessert. Indisputably, we are the future leaders in business, politics, religion, family, health and education. University students, polytechnic students, SHS and JHS students, and those in technical and vocational training institutions…we are acquiring skills and abilities to solve problems someday. That’s what unites us.

Prevention is better than cure. You and I can be the Zoomlions and Metropolitan Assemblies to ensure a clean Ghana. You should be able to tell me, “Ernest, pick up the sachet water you dumped on the floor and dispose it off properly”, and I should be able to find sense in your statement. You and I can wipe out cholera by enforcing the principles of sanitation. You and I can wipe out malaria by making stagnant water flow. You and I can show compassion to people living with HIV/AIDS.

We’ve  complained. We’ve whined. But how about… you and I, becoming the change we want to see? How about you and I putting into action the things we’ve been talking? It's time to ACT. THAT’S THE CLARION CALL.

God bless you and I. God bless Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment